Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Civil Rights Pilgrimage

Now that I have been able to recover after our busy 10 days in the South, I have been able to reflect upon my experiences and everything that I have learned.Through this incredible experience of learning about the Civil Rights Movement, I have gained so much resourceful knowledge of myself and how I can do my part in changing the world. Not only have I acquired a great deal of knowledge of how I can contribute to the benefit of the world, but I have also learned so much more about myself as a person.
The subject of racism has always been an avoided topic in conversation to me. It wasn't until this trip that I learned how important it is to analyze the impact racism has upon our society and how big of an issue it really is. After listening first hand from past freedom riders and other individuals who have experienced living in a country when racism was at its peak was breathtaking. I wouldn't have had any idea of the hardships non-whites had to endure had we not heard from these incredibly inspirational speakers. The many areas we visited where much of the history took place were also very beneficial towards our experience. Walking in the footsteps of past historical figures and standing upon history was an awesome feeling.
I feel very privileged to have been able to go through this experience. I have learned so much about myself as a person and have also gained a great understanding of our nations history with racism. The places, the knowledge, and the people I've been lucky to share this experience with will always be held dear to me. I can't wait to apply to be a coordinator for future trips and hopefully relive this entire experience again.

No comments:

Post a Comment