Monday, January 10, 2011

From Atlanta to Birmingham


Today is a long day, we spent half of our day in Atlanta while the rest half in Birmingham.
We went to Ebenezer Baptist Church at morning first, which is the place that so many African Americans are getting together at. IT WAS GREAT. It’s the first time I have been to a Christian Church, but it was much more beyond my imagination. People showed how friendly they could be, and the songs were more than good; I’ve learnt from the songs, I was feeling so calm, touched, and thankful when listening to their singing. Order My Steps is the one impressed me most.
Order my tongue in your word,
Guide my feet in your word.
Wash my heart in your word.
Show me how to walk in your word.
Show me how to talk in your word.
Freedom Hall and MLK National Historic Site were good place to go, too. I saw Martin Luther King’s Nobel Prize of Peace, and the cart was used to deliver Dr. King’s coffin after he was murdered. I got know Dr. King and Gandhi knew each other, which is new for me. I feel like Coretta King, Dr. King’s wife, is a great woman who contributed a lot to the Civil Right Movement as well, but most of times, she is just mentioned as Dr. King’s wife and over shadowed a lot.
Then we got finished all the stuffs in Atlanta and began our trip to Birmingham.
In Birmingham, where we visited is just Birmingham Civil Rights Institute today. I knew how unfair were colored people treated before the 1960s: they didn’t have right to vote, their minimum wage of black people were pretty low, and they faced serious segregation. I realized how necessary the Civil Right Movement was at that time. As Martin Luther King said, “It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world: it's nonviolence or nonexistence.”
We still have half a day in Birmingham tomorrow, but unfortunately, because of the bad weather, UAB and Rosa Parks Museum that we are planning to go will both be closed. I have no idea with our activities in Birmingham tomorrow; Birmingham Civil Rights Institute could be the last place we went. : (

No comments:

Post a Comment