Sunday, January 9, 2011

Aaron Zucker - Day 3: Atlanta to Birmingham

In the morning we went to Ebenezer Baptist Church for morning services. Since I'm Jewish I really had no idea what to expect. I was really taken a back by the overwhelming friendly and energetic atmosphere of the place. After services i went on the tour of Martin Luther King jr's childhood home. One thing that really stuck out to me was at the end of the tour our guide said "now you see that through his childhood MLK was just a normal person who went on to do extraordinary things." Then we went to the King Center and looked at some interesting stuff about MLK, Corretta Scott King and Mahatma Gandi. I really liked the timeline of Corretta Scott's life, because i did not really know that much about the scope of all that she had done for the civil rights movement. After that museum we packed up and hit the rode for Birmingham, Alabama. Once in Birmingham we visited the Birmingham civil rights Institute. It was amazing. The one thing that really stuck out for me was that there was a very one sided and male dominated view of what went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment