Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hello from a sweet hotel room (we have two sinks AND two tv's!!!)

Hi! It's been a long day so I'm going to keep this short (like me)! To be quite honest, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in American history. However, I'd never heard of a lot of the places we're visiting and it's really interesting getting the southern perspective on things (hearing someone admit, for example, that there were a lot of people that were black that were not fond of dr. mlkj and what he was working towards). The Civil Rights Institute was incredible because there was so much there to see, but it's almost a bit overwhelming. I can't imagine what it was like living through that time period considering the fact that I was only reading about these events (the marches, sit-ins, time spent in jail, fire hoses and police dogs to break up peaceful resistance, etc.) and I had goosebumps most of the time. I've really enjoyed the visits we've had with university professors so far. In fact, I think those have been one of my favorite parts of the trip. Not that we don't have gifted professors at UWEC, but I think it's really good to hear professors that you're not familiar with speak, particularly when it's in an area that they've "devoted their lives" to studying. I'm going to go to the other room now (that's right...these hotel rooms have (sort of) two rooms!) and go to bed! Off to Montgomery tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment