Monday, January 11, 2010

"Mother of the Civil Rights Movement: Rosa Parks" - by Jenny You


Oh, Ms. Rosa Parks...

Even in your mug shot you look quite classy. Despite the fact that you were scared, as you said, you made it so that the grumpy bus driver and popo were speechless by your assertiveness. You were calm and kept it classy, not because you wanted to get arrested, but because you were tired of giving in.

No, you weren't stubborn. You were just making a bold statement through an action that didn't sit well with Mr. Blake nor the rest of white America.

Today we visited a museum solely dedicated to you. Although in '55, some thought of you as bullheaded and relentless when you refused to get off the now historic Montgomery bus, that rainy December 1st changed history as we know it. That's why this museum reflects your headstrong and audacious will.

Ms. Rosa Parks, I'm not sure if I'd ever be as bold as
you if I were placed in such a situation. Would I risk my family's rep? Job? Risk going to jail? Or would I stay in my comfort bubble of following the rules and do what I'm told? Who knows...

I just know that many of us don't have half the courage that you have. And I highly doubt I can take my mug shot without any sign of fear nor tear. You're considered a radical because courage like yours changes generations of lives and is remembered for centuries to come. Today I learned that all of us may be trying to get home from work, but that journey isn't as simple as getting on a bus; it takes guts, a courage of conviction, and action.

3 comments:

  1. Jenny! Your blogs are wonderful to read!! Thank you for the way you are writing about each day, it brings the trip to life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like everyone is having a very meaningful, eye-opening experience! kudos to sarah for all you hard work coming to life in a very real way. I'm excited to hear more about it when you all return :)
    Holding down the fort in EC-
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny you are a great writer! Thanks for sharing this!
    Steph VP

    ReplyDelete