Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reflection...

Our group in front of the National Civil Rights Museum/Lorraine Motel, where MLK Jr. was assassinated


I am so grateful to have been a part of this amazing project. Not only has this pilgrimage changed my perspectives and increased my awareness of the injustices that still occur in today's society, but it opened the door to so many other opportunities as well! I am participating in a student-faculty research project with Jodi Thesing-Ritter, as well as Janna and Tony, that will discuss the impact the trip had on the knowledge and awareness of race and ethnicity of the students at UWEC. Students were able to obtain internship credit as well as Service Learning credit as well. I have just gained so much from this experience! It really is so difficult for me to put into words how much this trip has truly made an impact on my life. As a coordinator for the first trip at UWEC last year, I have been able to witness the growth of this amazing project so far, and to be able to be a part of something that has affected so many people in so many ways...it really is inspiring. I will be going on the trip again in spring, and even though it will be my third time going, I am so excited to become even more enlightened in the Civil Rights Movement! I encourage anyone reading this to go, because it really is an experience that will change your life and your perspectives on so many things, for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment