Friday, January 16, 2009

New Orleans

New Orleans was amazing. I was really looking forward to it, and this whole trip was worth it. New Orleans is fascinating, and it goes beyond Bourbon street and the party scene. There is so much history, and so much we have never learned in school, especially in regards to the Civil Rights Movement. I couldn't believe that Black men owned slaves! Oh, and just the way New Orleans was founded--by criminals and prostitutes! New Orleans is such a culturally rich city--I can't wait to go back!
As for tomorrow, I'm excited to see Little Rock Central High School. I read the book Warriors Don't Cry by Mebla Patillo, and I highly recommend it. It tells the true story beyond what we're told in school. I don't think anyone can grasp the full effect of visiting the school without reading that book. I'm so glad I'm on this trip--this is the experience of a life time!

No comments:

Post a Comment