Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I am SO glad that I decided to go on this trip rather than sit at home and do nothing. It turned out to be definitely one of the best experiences of my life so far. It was great to learn about the civil rights movement and actually see, visit the locations in which such great historical events occurred. Being on location made everything that you would otherwise just read from a book come to life.
One of the most interesting things about the places we visited was in Birmingham, AL, where many homeless men would come up and start chatting with our small groups about the history of the spot we were at. I was amazed how much many of them knew about the history. It saddened me to think that so many of these very smart black men were even today forced to work for tips on the street. It made me think about how what injustices are still present in our society today.
Overall GREAT TRIP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment