Thursday, March 22, 2012

Selma, Gulfport, and New Orleans

 If you don't think this food looks tasty, there has to be something wrong with you.  This was our lunch in Selma with Miss Joanne.  I am not sure if I have ever had such yummy food before.  We ate at a restaurant called Mama's Kitchen Sink and it was the greatest thing ever.  We got fried chicken, mac n cheese, green beans, a home-made biscuit, and sweet tea or pink lemonade.  If I could eat this food forever I probably would!
 The next day we stopped in Gulfport, Mississippi for a break from driving! :) We got the chance to eat at a great restaurant where the wait staff was super polite.  I really have found that there is a southern charm that everyone talks about.  After lunch we got to go on the beach for a while.  It was super windy, so it wasn't advised to go in the water, but we still stuck our feet in and had a great time.  It has been really nice to relax and take just a tiny bit of a break from all the learning we have been doing!! :)
Once in New Orleans, we got the chance to go to Preservation Hall and watch some Jazz musicians.  They were so wonderful to listen to.  All the musicians were so talented.  As I was watching the musicians, I noticed that half of the band consisted of African Americans.  I would have never thought about what some of them or maybe their ancestors had to go through for them to get to the point where they could play in the same band as whites.  All this learning has opened my eyes and allowed me to think differently, to imagine what the world might be like if it was still 1962.  I really liked the concert and being able to draw connections from all the other exhibits we have been seeing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment