Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finding "your Selma"

I had the pleasure of interviewing Charles Mauldin, 64, during our visit to Selma, Ala., on the Civil Rights Pilgrimage. His testimony about his experiences during the Civil Rights Movement served as a turning point of the Pilgrimage for me and reminded me what is important.

I believe in the power of people's stories, which is why I chose journalism as a career in the first place. Everyone has a story and everyone deserves to tell it. As a journalist, I have the privilege to tell people's stories.

Mauldin's story centered more around the indignities he and other African-Americans suffered before and during the movement. His pain was etched on his face, and I could barely hold back tears because of the cruelty and hate he remembered, all because of the color of his skin.

As our interview ended, Mauldin encouraged me, and later, other members of the Pilgrimage, to pursue social justice and find the Selma in our lives.

I'm privileged to have found my passion in journalism at an early age. But Mauldin's story and encouragement to find the Selma in my life reminded me again of my love for people's stories and my desire to tell them, especially those that are not told. Even now, I'm editing video of Charles so I can post it so that people know what happened to him.

Journalism, or rather, giving voice to the voiceless, is my Selma. With my work and passion for it, I will pursue my Selma. I aim to make Mauldin proud.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the interviews are viewable sometime in the future. It would be nice to get a fully rounded view of all the different viewpoints along our journey.

    ReplyDelete