Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Edmund Pettus Bridge

This evening our class lined up two-by-two and walked across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama; the mood was very somber and reflective. As I reached the middle of the arched bridge I looked down at the long straight road which some 50 years ago was the setting of one of the more memorable events of the Civil Rights Movement. An event referred to as "Bloody Sunday" where Selma Police and State Troopers gassed, beat, trampled, and jailed peaceful protesters marching for voting rights. As I stared down at the street before me I couldn't help but imagine the thoughts and emotions that must have passed through those marchers as they stared down at the menacing Police force before them. It was a powerful moment I'll not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment