Sunday, January 9, 2011
A full day in Atlanta, GA and Birmingham, AB
1. Freedom Hall, home to artifacts and awards of Martin Luther King, Jr., Mohandas Gandhi, and Rosa Parks.
2. Students in front of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s childhood home on "Sweet Auburn" Avenue in Atlanta.
3. 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, where four little girls were killed when the church was bombed in September of 1963.
4. Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham, the site of brutal attacks on demonstrators (many of them children) by police officers with police dogs and fire hoses. The dreary weather, rain and sleet, made me realize the importance of the events that took place in Kelly Ingram Park more than I've ever recognized in the sunshine.
5. Group 6 enjoys dinner, discussion about the day, and random conversations together with a delicious meal at Golden Corral!