Saturday, January 16, 2010

Winding down, but the Learning Continues

Yesterday, we did the whole Little Rock Nine/Central Experience and it was moving and empowering. Afterwards I was convinced that it was all Little Rock had to offer...oh boy how wrong was I!!! Today we visited the Clinton School for Public Service, Heifer International, and the Clinton Presidential Library. All of these places provided so many learning oppertunities.

The Clinton School for Public Service was great. We had a discussion with a panel of students, all had different backgrounds and different areas of interest. They discussed how we must keep moving forward, and stressed Ghandi's words of being the change we wish to see in the world. The opportunites and classes these students get to take are just phenomonal. This school definitely interests me for further education because they are taking the classes that will help them create actions and movements. They have national and international opportunities. Just by listening to the panel, I know that each one of them will go on to do great things.

Heifer International was a great tour because I didn't know much about the organization before touring the exhibits and their headquarters. I knew that they were combating the fight against hunger but had no idea about the process of education, skills, technology, and other areas that were involved. I hope to contribute to their organization in some way in the future.

The last thing we did in Arkansas was visit the Clinton Presidential Library. Now I figured this was just a public library with some extra artifacts, just in the President's name going along with the school somehow. I WAS SO WRONG. It is a monument, a museum in the honor of Bill Clinton's reign as President of the United States. I learned much about Clinton that I did not know. I had no idea he was such a champion for human rights, or that his International relations were some of the very best of any President. It was a very neat experience.

At lunch I was able to eat with Erin and talk with her about the trip, goals, and life. I enjoyed our conversation since I didn't know her that well. We are now in Memphis. It is the last stop on the trip, we are winding down to the bittersweet end. I look forward to the full day tomorrow of activities, and the warmth of my bed the following day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment