Friday, January 15, 2010

Bravery and Courage in Little Rock




Today was an awesome day. I've learned so much about Little Rock Central High School and the Little Rock Nine. To be honest, I didn't really know about Little Rock and that's why I'm really glad that I was able to learn and experience the story on this trip. Learning about Little Rock Nine not only gave me the courage but showed me of how brave I can be when facing discrimination or segregation. It showed me that if they can do it then I can too.

We talked about how schools are still segregated today not only by race or nationality but also by the size, shape, and interest of a person. Somethings that influence people in what they believe are friends, family, the environment they grew up in, the role models, teachers, and peers. I think that cultural beliefs affect it as well.

Meeting one of the Little Rock Nine, Thelma Watershed Wair, was an amazing experience and to hear her story told right out of her mouth is an indescribable feeling. I look up to her and the others of Little Rock Nine for being so brave and couragous.
I've experienced discrimination in my life, eversince I was little. To hear and see the videos of what the Little Rock Nine went through, saddened me as well as angered me but it gave me the courage to stand up for myself and what I believe in. It saddened and angered me because I thought: How can people treat other people like that? No matter what, don't they see that everyone is all the same? We're all still human beings. It's like all the objects on earth. No matter what color, they are all still the same and we all use them in the same matter. No matter if it's a white, black, blue, yellow, red or green house, we all say it's a house and treat each house just as a shelter. No matter if it's red, yellow, green, or silver water hydrant, it contains the same thing, water. No matter what our skin color is, we are all human beings with eyes, nose, ears, arms, legs, body, fingers, and toes. No matter what, we all have the same organs and we all survive off the same things so why is it that we can't treat each other equally. It saddened me a lot to see what the Little Rock Nine had to go through but I'm glad they were able to make a change in this world and influence others giving them the courage to stand up for what they believe in.
Visiting Little Rock Central High School and meeting one of Little Rock Nine Thelma today is a very memorable day and I'll always remember it for the rest of my life. It inspired me as well as influenced me. It gave me hope, courage, and showed me bravery.


No comments:

Post a Comment