Monday, January 25, 2010

Better Late than Never!

Well, I realize that this post may be a little delayed; however, it has taken me this long to even begin to digest what I learned on the trip. After looking back through my journal I counted a full 18 pages written about the trip alone--I'll make this post much more brief, for your sake and mine.

To sum it all up in a sentence: the trip changed my life. One of the things I was most worried about before embarking on the pilgrimage was the fact that I was going "alone." In the end, this was one of the best decisions I could have made. During one of the orientation meetings I remember Jodi saying that we would all make great friends on this trip, being the skeptic that I am I thought, "yeah yeah." But you know what? It was true. I made such great friends, people that I've already spent time with since being back in Eau Claire--and many more that I have plans with to get together for dinners and other things. Because of the nature of the trip it is impossible to leave as strangers.

The museums, the tour guides, the locals, the culture, the fun...it was all simply amazing. I couldn't believe how much of the information we received was first hand information. We were talking to people who were there, in the the thick of it, fighting for equality. It really made me, and everyone else, realize that one person can make a difference. And we shouldn't wait around for someone else to make our dreams a reality--we need to get off the couch and do it ourselves. There was one quote that really stuck with me throughout the entire trip. I can't remember who said it to our group, but it has been resonating in my head ever since.

"If not us, then who? If not now, then when?"

Thanks to everyone who made this trip possible for me, it was a great experience.

Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment