Saturday, January 9, 2010

16 hours in a bus &...

We're finally here!! Yay! The bus ride brought on a new meaning of closeness as me and my roommate/best friend ended up cuddling up to try and be comfortable. I'd like to give a big thank you to the makers of Tylenol Pm for helping me sleep last night =)

Today we had our first day in Atlanta and boy was it amazing ("HOTlanta" was not so hot today! BRR!)!! We had the wonderful chance to meet Dr. Jacqueline Rouse, who is a very charismatic professor at GSU. Listening to her talk, it was as if we were talking to our grandma who was telling us stories of the time. She brought every person she was talking about alive as if she were best friends with them during the time. She brought a lot of interesting quotes to the table when she talked about what it was like to have clansmen in her Afro-American class. One of the most interesting is when she said if she had to talk to a clansmen from the civil rights time, she would go up and ask him "What is it about me that frightens you? That repulses you? For I am just a human being." I thought that that was a powerful statement and really made me think.

After our time with Dr. Rouse, we had free time to run around, and I went to the worlds largest aquarium and it was AWESOME! My inner child instantly was released as we gazed at tanks that held over 6.3 million gallons of water and had fish that were bigger than me! We also got to touch sea anemone, sting rays and sharks!

Well now its time for bed, we have an early rise and shine for church in the morning =)
Good night all,
Tamika

No comments:

Post a Comment