Monday, January 12, 2009

Hi everyone!

I hope the northern United States is great, today we are in Alabama and all that I needed to wear to stay warm today was a sweatshirt, it was great!
Today we learned a lot about different protests that took place in Birmingham I learned a lot of cool things. One of my favorite things that I learned was that people of all ages participated in the protests that fought against discrimination against African Americans. There were people who were as young as 8 years old who protested against the governor and the polices racist veiws. During some of these protests the 8 year olds would get sprayed with fire hoses (which may sound fun, but actually injures kids very severely), the police in Birmingham also had very mean dogs attack the protesters! It was really cool though to see that people that young can make such a great difference. If it was not for the really young kids the civil rights movement would not have been as successful as it was in Birmingham.
The other interesting thing that I learned today was that even though the racism has become less evident in the United States it is still a very big issue that needs to be improved upon. When I was talking to some of the locals that all told me that a lot of people are still racist. Though there is no doubt that the racism has decreased, it is still an issue that needs to be dealt with.
I hope that you guys have a really fun day at school and make sure to be extra nice to your teacher today!!!

- Mikey Sabaka

No comments:

Post a Comment