Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Edmond Pettis Bridge and Capital Buidling

Today was such a powerful day for me because it hit me on so many levels. First off today on the trip I realized hardcore that no history class at school will teach me anything compared to what this trip has. It is amazing how much the real life stories from local people can have an affect on you. You are brought back to their time and realize how much they had endure to fight for their freedoms. After walking the bridge I realized how much the Civil Rights Movement has lead the path for my future in working towards equality in the LGBT movement. I can take what I have learned and apply that to what I can do now. The Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery hit me really really hard and the names on the wall and the quote by Bobby Kennedy was undescrible. What i loved about the museum is that it also focused on what is going on right now. What had happened to what is going on right now. It just lets us know even though we have accomplished a lot we still have a lot more left to go.

2 comments:

  1. On getting an out-of-the-office reply from my mentor and dear friend Jodi Thesing-Ritter I decided to check out your blog. WOW! WOW! WOW! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am really enjoying reading your blog and having the opportunity to ride along with you on your journey. You must all be thrilled to be living history and as Mr. Michael said-what is going on right now. What an incredible adventure. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing this with the world. Mary Kay Maas-UWEC '03

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/15/zarrella.selma.pennsylvania/index.html

    The link above is an article from CNN.com that was published TODAY! I just want you to know that what you are doing is so relevant to the rest of the world!!

    ReplyDelete