Sunday, April 6, 2008

An Amazing Experience

First of all, I have to thank Jodi, January, and the Putnam RA staff for planning and arranging this fantastic trip. Without the brains of these fantastic people, this trip would not have been possible. I sincerely hope that this will be a new tradition at UWEC that will continue for years and years to come. It is probably one of the greatest learning experiences I've had in my life.

Overall, I really enjoyed the trip. When I signed up for the trip I never thought it would turn out to be such a great experience. I went into it thinking that it would just be a fun trip in the south with a bunch of other college students. In the end I made new friends and made memories to last a lifetime.

My favorite parts of the trip were Montgomery, Little Rock, and Memphis. I enjoyed the Rosa Parks Museum in Montgomery and it was really neat to see the street where she actually refused to move from her seat. Little Rock was a hilight of the trip for me because we got to see Central High School. It was almost surreal standing on the street where everything happened 50 years ago. Memphis was a favorite for me because of the National Civil Rights Museum and the unexpected invitation to hear Rev. Kyles speak. His message was so powerful and will stick with me forever.

I'm glad that New Orleans was included in the trip (even though it was not a major place in the Civil Rights movement) because of the volunteer work that our group was able to do.

- Amy Schmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment