Sunday, March 23, 2008

The End Has Come

After a long and interesting ride from Nashville, we are finally home.

I never got the chance to blog throughout this trip, so I just wanted to take the time to say that I had an amazing time. Being able to stand at the same street corners and in the same parks where so many people fought for equality was such a surreal feeling.

My favorite museum was the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. Walking through the hotel room where Martin Luther King was shot gave me goosebumps. The exhibit that contained pieces of evidence from his assassination was really neat. We saw the gun that was used, the actual bullet that killed him, and the autopsy report among other things.

But the most exciting and emotional part of this trip for me was when we got to go back to the museum yesterday morning to listen to Reverend Billy Kyles, who was with MLK when he was shot. He had such a good message for us all and never once did he stop smiling. Getting to hug him and thank him was such an amazing opportunity. Thanks again to Ali and Val for allowing that to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment