Tuesday, March 30, 2010

SELMA!

Today we ventured to Selma, Alabama. When we rolled into the town, I had no idea what to expect. We were surrounded by condemned or extremely run-down homes and we got a little lost for a while. Then we met Joanne Bland, and boy was I scared of her at first!! She was a straight shooter and had no time for any BS. We all warmed up to her immediately, however, and she had us laughing until our sides hurt. She was an amazing tour guide who really challenged our thinking and choices in life. She has inspired me in many ways and I yearn for the ability to take part/start a movement like she was able to. You see, Joanne was there on "Bloody Sunday" and had the courage to walk across that bridge for her rights as an individual. Someday I hope to have the opportunity to be as brave in the face of danger as she. She also motivated us to stay on top of our politics (both local and national) and be active with our knowledge. She urged us to vote and support representatives who would make a difference.

The other part of the day was spent doing service work within Selma. This was a really great experience as well. The community within Selma is very strong I feel, and I feel very special being allowed to contribute to the community with so many freedom soldiers within it. I felt so welcomed and loved while in Selma. This has definitely been my favorite stop on the trip so far. I will never forget the knowledge I gained here and the amazing people we were so fortunate to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment