Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day Two: Atlanta and Birmingham

Well today was a particularly long day. I imagine there are plenty more to come, and yet I'm strangely okay with this concept. Funny how that works.
It doesn't matter how many times I get up before 8:30 am, every time I do, it is reenforced that I am not a morning person. 5:30 this morning was just painful. But it was worth it. The Ebenezer Baptist Church was absolutely incredible. Have I seen churches with that are more architectually beautiful? Of course. Have I been in churches with more people? Absolutely. But I have never been in a church that has that much soul and that much faith winding itself through everybody in the room. That alone easily ranked it as the most beautiful church I've ever been to. I'm not a particularly religious person either, but I do have faith and I have never been more certain of that in my entire life. Honestly being in that church was a little bit of a life changing experience for me. I won't go into details because it's sort of a long story, but it filled me with joy and I think that it's wonderful that they get to experience that every day of their lives. The unfailing sincerity and excitement about our group being there was simply overwhelming, and the powerhouse choir quite literally raised goosebumps on my arms. It was such an amazing experience and one that I am not going to forget.
Sorry, a little bit of a tangent about the church. Clearly that was the highlight of my day. After the church, we had some time to amble around the Martin Luther King Memorial centers. Some went on the birthplace tours, others stayed behind and walked through the museum. The weather was dreary and cold. I've heard that's a trend whenever we bring Wisconsin to Atlanta. After another three hours on the bus, we made it to Birmingham where we toured a Civil Rights Center and Kelly Ingram Park. Again, it's absolutely mind-boggling to consider the things that happened there. Even though it was a long time ago, you can still feel the history seeping through each statue, each sign, and I still can't help but wonder how they found the strength and the will to carry on no matter how many hurdles were thrown at them. I can only suppose it came from the same soul and faith that I witnessed in the church this morning.
After a very interesting lecture from Dr. Pamela King, everybody ate way too much food at the Golden Corral, and the bus took us and our food babies back to the hotel. I think everyone is just relaxing now...which is probably best, in all honesty. Another long day tomorrow, but like I said, I'm strangely comfortable with this concept. :)

-Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment