Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

I couldn't have asked for such a meaningful, beautiful, poignant day! The sun was out and shinning and the day was ready for our group. We headed straight to the capital and got a taste of how intergration is still a battle and succession history is the basis of Alabama history. Then we headed over to the Civil Rights Memorial Center which is always meaningful because it focuses not only on the past but what has happened in recent history. Then had a wonderful lunch and then I had the chance to do something I thought I would never be able to do in my life time. I took a chance in ringing the doorbell at the Dexter Baptist Church for the chance of a tour of it. We lucked out. I had the chance to stand at the same spot, same pulpit that Dr. King preached from. I had chills and lots of emotions going through me. I felt the pulpit and felt history in my fingers. From there we went to Selma for our tour with Joanne Bland which was sassier than ever but really enjoyable! Dinner was amazing and now we are in Biloxi getting ready for tomorrow's day of service in New Orleans. I am so thankful for being on this trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment