Sunday, March 22, 2009

Trip Overview

It is so difficult for me to fully explain in words how this trip has affected me. Growing up with private schooling and coming to the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire I have been in contact with very few people who were of a different race then myself. A better way to explain this is to tell you a story about my high school honors history class. The class was supposed to cover major events in the 20th century. Towards the later half of the semester, our history teacher wrote three things on the chalkboard, one of them being "Civil Rights in the United States". He told all of us that we would not be covering any of these topics because he felt that secondary schools should focus on 1900-1950, and nothing after.

I had little expectations for the Civil Rights Pilgrimage when I signed up for it. When we were at the first few cities on the trip, I started to realize the affect that this had on the United States and the foolishness of officials in the south who wanted to keep the schools segregated and keep blacks from voting. It is unfathomable to deny one any rights just because they are different and I eventually came to the conclusion that the Civil Rights movement was not just black history it was American history. I was shocked by the anger and violence many whites in the south had towards black men and women, yet under the direction and noble leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. they led protests of non-violence. How could a people who have been denied rights for so long, been treated as second class citizens, not be violent against their oppressors? How could they have the courage to march against an injustice so peacefully? Their actions of bravery should be an inspiration to every person around the world to fight peacefully for their freedom and against injustice.

I know that this experience has changed my perceptions about everything. If it were possible, I would advocate every student who goes to the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire be required to attend an immersion experience like this before they were to graduate. This is something that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment