Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Experience of a Lifetime

Atlanta: The best way to start off the trip was to go to Ebenezer Baptist Church. The welcome we got was beyond amazing. The whole experience was so different than a normal church service. The people were so involved and you just felt the love in the church. My favorite part was meeting Rev. Merrell who sat by us and was so enthusiastic about the service.
Birmingham: Walking through the Kelly Ingram Park was such a moving experience knowing that students like us marched here and were attacked by water hoses and dogs. Its sad to say that I really liked the fact that it was raining that day because if you looked at the statues, it looked like they were crying. It was just so surreal. Then I had the best fish I've had in awhile at Mrs. B's. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there too.
Montgomery: My first thought of touring a state capital was "not another one." since I have seen multiple state capitals. But this capital has so much history. One of the moving parts was standing were MLK Jr. stood to give a speech to a street full of people and where Jefferson Davis got inaugurated. I also went to the first White House of the Confederacy. It was nice to see how the "other side" lived and learn some of their history.
Selma: This was my favorite part of the trip. Meeting Joanne Blande was amazing. It was really nice to get first hand knowledge from someone who has experienced it. The most moving part was actually walking the same path they walked for Bloody Sunday and the march from Selma to Montgomery. When we walked across the bridge, there was no wind and all you could here was the cars driving right beside you. One of the things that shocked me was when we drove to Selma from Montgomery(the same path the march took) there wasn't a path for someone like us to walk it. I thought after all of this time and since the road is historical that there would be a way to actually walk the whole distance. Joanne Blande did say there is something in the works but government is spending the money elsewhere right now.
Bilioxi: We only spent the night but I watched the sunrise in the morning and it was beautiful.
New Orleans: We did our service learning here. I don't think I have ever felt so appreciated for picking up trash than I did that day. The OC Haley St. area was so devastated by the hurricane. Most of the houses were still completely destroyed and unoccupied.
Little Rock: Being able to see the school and sit outside it for awhile was an amazing feeling. Knowing the history of what went down here. At this time we decided to discuss how to continue the fight against segregation of the schools. It was interesting hearing how others in the group grew up and their view points on the issue. We all agreed that there is still segregation at the schools. Even Eau Claire is segregated, most of the students are white but we do have many international students as well. We really couldn't pin point exactly one thing to do to end segregation.
Memphis: This tied everything we already learned from the trip together. I don't think I can put into words how this trip made me feel and how it opened my mind to what is actually going on. Civil Rights Movement has not stopped, it is still continuing to this day and I want to do everything I can to achieve it. Like Joanne Blande said that we are the ones to continue the fight, and that you don't have to be someone famous but just ordinary people can make the change.
I would and have suggested this trip to almost everyone I've talked to since I've been back. It is the best thing I could have done in my college career.

No comments:

Post a Comment